2014 FINAL RATINGS
March 30, 2014
~ Jerry Shenk
~ Jerry Shenk
By Middle Atlantic Sports News/LLHoops.com
NOTES: There was easily as much parity in AAAA and AAA when you looked at the district brackets from #1 to #16 as I have ever seen. So this top 20 was one of the biggest challenges I've ever had. We tried to look first at what a team did during the year, then with how far they went in districts and or states and some cases head to head competition in regular season as well as playoff games meant a lot.This year I did see every single one of the top 20, many three up to ten times; thanks to the many media outlets who did games on TV or streamed them live on the internet. Only three teams, Berks Catholic, Wilson and Reading did I have trouble seeing since no one in Berks does anything on the net. I did however see all three at least once.
1. Susquehanna Township (23-8) (AAA) Beat Northern Lebanon, Berks Catholic, Harrisburg Bishop McDevitt and Manheim Central to win district championship. In states defeated Philadelphia Imhotep Charter, Pottsville, Lancaster Mennonite and Central Valley before losing to Philadelphia Neumann-Goretti in state final.
2. Harrisburg Bishop McDevitt (27-3) (AAA) Lost to Susquehanna Township in overtime of district semifinal, then took third place with win over Bermudian Springs. In states lost to Allentown Central Catholic in Round of 16. Only other loss was also to Susquehanna Twp.
3. York (23-7) (AAAA) District champion beat Lancaster McCaskey, Wilson, Hershey and Cedar Crest to win district title. In states beat Haverford, then lost to Abington.
4. Cedar Crest (26-6) (AAAA) In district's, beat Cumberland Valley and Central York to get to final where they lost to York. In states beat Spring-Ford, then lost to state runnerup Philadelphia LaSalle.
5. Hershey (18-9) (AAAA) In district's, beat Harrisburg and Reading, lost to York in semifinals, then beat Central York to finish third. In states lost to Lower Merion in first round.
6. Central York (24-5) (AAAA) In district's, beat Lebanon and Carlisle, then lost to Cedar Crest and Hershey to finish fourth. In states lost to West Chester Rustin in first round.
7. Wilson (26-4) (AAAA) In district's beat Lower Dauphin, then lost to York in quarterfinal. Came back and beat Reading and Cumberland Valley to finish fifth. In states lost to Pennsbury in first round. Beat Berks Catholic in Berks Conference finals.
8. Berks Catholic (24-6) (AAA) Lost to Susquehanna Township in quarterfinals, then fought back to finish fifth with wins over Lancaster Mennonite and West York. In first round of states lost to state champion, Philadelphia Neumann-Goretti.
9. Harrisburg (17-7) (AAAA) Lost in first round of district to Hershey.
10. Manheim Central (24-5) AAA) Beat West York and Bermudian Springs, then lost to Susquehanna Township in district championship. Lost to Radnor Archbishop Carroll in first round of states.
11. West York (24-5) (AAA) Lost to Manheim Central and Berks Catholic to finish sixth in district. Lost to Allentown Central Catholic in first round of states.
12. Lancaster Mennonite (22-8) (AAA) Beat Steelton-Highspire, lost to Bishop McDevitt (OT), lost to Berks Catholic, then beat Boiling Springs to finish seventh in district. In states, beat Somerset & Chartiers Valley, lost to Susquehanna Township.
13. Cumberland Valley (19-8) (AAAA) In district's, lost to Cedar Crest in quarterfinals, beat Carlisle, then lost to Wilson to finish sixth. In states lost to Philadelphia Martin Luther King in first round.
14. Carlisle (18-9) (AAAA) In district's, beat Red Lion, lost to Central York and Cumberland Valley, then beat Reading to finish seventh. In states lost to Chester in first round.
15. Reading (18-10) (AAAA) Finished eighth in district, beat Cedar Cliff, lost to Hershey, Wilson and Carlisle
16. Cedar Cliff (14-10) (AAAA) Lost in first round of district's to Reading.
17. Lancaster McCaskey (15-10) Lost in first round of district's to York.
18. Trinity (12-13) (AA) District Champs, Lost in first round of states to Loyalsock. Started season very slow, but picked it up a lot from January on till the end of season.
19. Bermudian Springs (22-5) (AAA) Beat Lancaster Catholic and Boiling Springs, lost to Manheim Central and Harrisburg Bishop McDevitt to finish fourth in district. Lost to Holy Ghost Prep in first round of states.
20. Lebanon (18-9) (AAAA) Lost in first round of district's to Central York. Did better than McCaskey in LL playoffs but lost to them in head-to-head.