DISTRICT 3 RATINGS – JANUARY 21, 2018
Written by: Jerry Shenk on Sunday, January 21st, 2018
January 21, 2018
1. Reading (13-2) (AAAAAA) Xavier Starks had a career-high 18 points, Wesley Butler had 12 points and six assists, and Pottstown transfer, Larry Wingo scored 14 in his Reading High debut as the Red Knights ripped Governor Mifflin the Mustangs 78-29. Starks then scored 15 points and Butler had 14 to front a balanced attack (four others scored between 7 and 9 points) as Reading upset unbeaten Hazleton 65-56 tonight in the final game of the Geigle Classic. The Cougars (10-1) are ranked No. 3 in the state in Class 6A by cityofbasketballlove.com. The Red Knights are not ranked.
2. York Northeastern (16-0) (AAAAA) Bobcats defeated Steelton-Highspire 74-67, Red Lion 55-43, Dallastown 80-50, Harrisburg Bishop McDevitt 52-46. DJ Hamilton had 20, while Antonio Rizzuto and Fred Mulbah had 19 each in the win over Steelton-Highspire. Rizzuto 17, Fred Mulbah and Nate Wilson 15 each in the win over Red Lion. Against Dallastown Rizzuto 20, Fred Mulbah 18, Wilson 16, Quay Mulbah 11 all scored in double-figures. Rizzuto 24, Fred Mulbah 13 were high against McDevitt.
3. Berks Catholic (12-2) (AAAA) Casey Jack had 18 points and five rebounds to lead the Saints to a 64-28 win over Fleetwood. Tre Dabney had 11 points and Luis Garcia added nine points and four steals. Garcia scored a career-high 18 points and Keba Mitchell had a double-double as Berks Catholic used a big third quarter to roll past Octorara 69-50 in the opening game of the Geigle Classic. Mitchell finished with 16 points, 10 rebounds and seven blocked shots, all in the first three quarters. Casey Jack had 13 points, eight rebounds and six assists for the Saints.
4. Hempfield (13-2) (AAAAAA) Black Knights defeat Penn Manor 49-43, leading by only two after three quarters. Ryan Moffatt had 18 to lead and David Martin Robinson had 11. Then for the third time in four games, Hempfield faced a double-digit deficit after three quarters. They could not overcome it this time and lost to Dallastown 52-48. Moffatt had a game-high 21pts and Robinson had 12.
5. Lampeter-Strasburg (14-1) (AAAAA) Pioneers avenged their only loss of the season with a 58-42 victory over Elizabethtown. Ryan Smith again led with another 30 point game. Came back and defeated Conestoga Valley 61-51 in a game not that close. Smith led with 18 points and Isaac Beers had 14.
6. Chambersburg (13-3) (AAAAAA) Joel Torres had a monster game on offense in the first half and his teammates picked him up when he got into foul trouble as the Trojans earned a 55-40 Mid Penn Commonwealth victory over Carlisle. The win avenged a 41-40 loss to the Herd in December. Torres scored 13 of his team’s 16 points in the first quarter and had 18 at the half. He hit three more buckets early in the third quarter, but then was saddled with foul trouble and wasn’t much of a factor before fouling out.
7. Harrisburg (10-5) (AAAAAA) The Cougars put 12 players in the scoring column led by Tony James with 16 in a 68-45 win over Central Dauphin. Then lost at Chester 56-50 despite 20 points from James
8. Hershey (14-1) (AAAAA) The Trojans defeated Mechanicsburg 56-27. Jake Wilson , Chase Wallace and Nick Hines all scored 10 points. Then used an 18-9 fourth quarter comeback to overtake Elizabethtown 58-54. Wilson led with 17 points, Drew Painter had 11 and Griffin Jackson added 10.
9. Milton Hershey (11-1) (AAAAA) DonYae Baylor-Carroll’s 32 point performance powers Milton Hershey to a 72-62 win over Camp Hill in their only game of the week. Pedro Rodriguez pitched in with 17.
10. Greencastle-Antrim (12-2) (AAAAA) It was a battle for first place in the Colonial Division and Greencastle took charge early jumping out to a 15-0 lead to start the game and defeated the Shippensburg Greyhounds 61-35. Greencastle was lead by Bryon Gembe with 17 points, also in double figures for the Blue Devils were Jason Freeman with 14 and Ian Gelsinger with 12. Beat Northern York 81-59. Gembe led with 25 points, Brandon Stuler 22, Gelsinger 14.
11. Cedar Crest (14-3) (AAAAAA) The Falcons were upset by Lancaster McCaskey 55-54. Blake Thompson led with 15 and Cole Laney added 13 points, Came back the next night and got a come from behind 54-50 victory over Warwick. Thompson had 19, Laney and Dylan Miller both scored 10. Then defeated Williamsport 59-55 in the Reading Geigle Classic. Thompson led with 15pts, while Laney and Logan Horn each added 13.
12. Manheim Township (12-3) (AAAAAA) Blue Streaks were upset by Conestoga Valley 59-56, despite 27 points from Tyler Crespo. Came back and pounded Exeter 58-34. Crespo led again with 17 points. Tyler Vicidomini had 14 points Will Greiner scored 10.
13. Lancaster Catholic (14-2) (AAAA) The Crusaders defeated Eastern Lebanon 63-40 and Pequea Valley 68-28 this week. Against Eastern Lebanon Johnny Besecker led with 16pts, David Kamwanga had 15pts and Miles McCaskey 12. Kamwanga 12, Besecker 11 and McCaskey 10 were high in the win over Pequea Valley.
14. Wilson (10-5) (AAAAAA) Bulldogs led by 15 at halftime and went on to win 45-33 against Daniel Boone. Bryce Calloway scored 12 points and Stevie Mitchell had 10 for Wilson. Had five game winning streak snapped in 47-38 loss at Downingtown West. Calloway had a game-high 17 points. Figura scored 15 points and Bryce Calloway added 13 to lift the Bulldogs over Garden Spot. Figura scored seven points in the third quarter as Wilson opened up an eight point lead after being tied at the half and defeated Garden Spot 57-52.
15. Steelton-Highspire (9-5) (AAA) The Rollers played #2 Northeastern tough, before losing 74-67. Jalen Flowers scored 29 in the loss and Tim Kater added 16. Then belted Middletown 61-45 behind 18 points from both Flowers and Kater. Malachi Young tossed in 11.
Follow LLhoops on Twitter @LLhoops