DISTRICT 3 RATINGS – JANUARY 7, 2018
Written by: Jerry Shenk on Sunday, January 7th, 2018
January 7, 2018
1. Reading (8-2) (AAAAAA) Red Knights get 21 and 23 points from Wesley Butler, 18 and 15 from R.J. Dixon and 10 and 10 from Ricki Lopez in wins over Muhlenberg 75-44 and Lancaster McCaskey 77-66. They also take over #1 after a Hempfield loss to Cedar Crest.
2. Hempfield (10-1) (AAAAAA) Black Knights drop to #2 after losing first game of the year at Cedar Crest 41-39. Ryan Moffatt led with 17 and David Martin Robinson added 11. Then overcame a 13-point third quarter deficit to defeat Central York 57-51 in a War of Roses Showcase @ West York High School. Moffatt again led with 21 points and Anthony Alston had 13.
3. York Northeastern (9-0) (AAAAA) Bobcats pounded Spring Grove 78-28. Antonio Rizzuto led the way with 36 points. Fred Mulbah had 19 and Nat Wilson added 13. Rizzuto then hit 10 treys on his was to a career-high 47 points in a 75-63 win over Greencastle-Antrim. Fred Mulbah backed up Rizzito with 12…..Watched this game on Mid-Penn Broadcasting last night. My 359th game of the year. Yes I watch all over the nation.
4. Harrisburg (7-3) (AAAAAA) The Cougars crushed Mifflin County 81-32 with four players in double-figures led Nareefce Glenn with 16, Rynell Gantt 14, Tony James 13 and Deion Patterson with 11, James then had a career-high 39, Nicari Williams 14 and Ky’Aire Sumpter 10 in an 80-68 win over Central Dauphin East.
5. Berks Catholic (8-2) (AAAA) The Saints jumped out to an 18-0 after the first quarter in a 50-34 win over Twin Valley. Casey Jack led the way with a game-high 16 points Keba Mitchell had 10. Then led from start to finish in a 56-41 win over Exeter as Trey Dabney had 19 points and Luis Garcia had 11. Exeter had been coming off wins over both Wilson and Governor Mifflin this week.
6. Milton Hershey (7-0) (AAAAA) The Spartans did not play this week due to their long holiday break.
7. Lampeter-Strasburg (9-1) (AAAAA) 6-10 sr Ryan Smith scored 64 points in two Pioneers wins this week. He had 34 in a 60-49 win over arch-rival Lancaster Mennonite on the Blazers home floor. He came back with 30 in a 65-51 win over Dover in the War of Roses Showcase @ Manheim Central. Isaac Beers backed up Smith with 20 points in the Showcase win.
8. Hershey (9-1) (AAAAA) The Trojans edged Harrisburg Bishop McDevitt 53-51 and defeated Palmyra 60-35 this week. Sean Coller scored 13 points in the narrow win over McDevitt and Nick Hines led nine players into the scoring column with 18 against Palmyra.
9. Chambersburg (10-2) (AAAAAA) The Trojans defeated Central Dauphin 51-45 (Terell Williams and Seth Brouse 10 points apiece) Cumberland Valley 57-46 (Joel Torres 19) and Donegal 63-37. Torres 19 and Collier 11 led Chambersburg.
10. Greencastle-Antrim (8-2) (AAAAA) The Blue Devils routed Big Spring 79-45 behind Bryan Gembe with 19pts, Ian Gelsinger 14, Jason Freeman 11 and Ben Freeman 10. Then came to 73-63 loss to York Northeastern. Brandon Stuhler scored 20 in the loss. Ben Freeman had 13 and Gelsinger 10.
11. Cedar Crest (10-2) (AAAAAA) The Falcons got a big home win when they held off previously undefeated Hempfield 41-39 behind 12 points apiece from Cole Laney and Dylan Miller. Blake Thompson added 11. Then went double-overtime to defeat Lower Dauphin 73-68 in the Rhoades Classic @ Lebanon Valley College. Casey Caruso led the way with 23 points and Luke Hedrick scored 19 more.
12. Manheim Township (8-2) (AAAAAA)
ALL WINS: Elizabethtown 76-66, Holy Ghost Prep 48-36, Central Dauphin 59-42, Lebanon 75-40, Conestoga Valley 58-41, Cedar Crest 77-71, Red Lion 57-50.
ALL LOSES: Hempfield 36-67, Dallastown 59-64.
TOP SCORERS: 5-9 jr Tyler Crespo 16-1, 6-1 jr Brendan Mellott 11.6
TEAM SCHEDULE & ROSTER: https://llhoops.com/manheim-township/
13. Lancaster Catholic (8-2) (AAAA) The Crusaders drop down some after 61-58 loss to York Catholic in the War of Roses Showcase @ West York. Jonny Besecker led with 15, RJ VanTash had 14, Denzel Kaabasele 10 and Dwayne Caine added 9 points.
14. Trinity (8-2) (AAA) The Shamrocks defeated West Perry 74-31 led by Sean Good with 13 and Kalen Veres with 12. Lost to Middletown 65-64 in overtime. Mike Scarpelli led with 16 and Anthony DeFrank scored 12.
15. Wilson (6-3) (AAAAAA) The Bulldogs stay at #15 despite a one-point loss to Exeter, 38-37 in ovetime, because they have been playing without some starters. Stevie Mitchell had 13 points in the los. They bounced back and overcame a 12-point deficit in the third quarter to defeat Steelton-Highspire 46-41. Logan Horst led with 17 points and Kyle Coldren had 12.
DROPPED OUT: York (6-4) (AAAAA) Bearcats fall out after big loss to unranked Red Lion.
Follow LLhoops on Twitter @LLhoops