DISTRICT 3 RATINGS: Jan 2nd 2018
Written by: Jerry Shenk on Tuesday, January 2nd, 2018
January 2, 2018
1. Hempfield (9-0) (AAAAAA) Black Knights started the season winning the Carlisle Tip-Off with wins over over Mechanicsburg 62-42 and Carlisle 62-46. They reeled off seven more defeating Conestoga Valley 65-44, Spring-Ford 67-55, Penn Manor 54-40, Manheim Township 67-36 and Warwick 38-36. Then won their own Holiday Tournament with wins over West Philadelphia 73-37 and Wilson 57-31. Players averaging in double-figures for the Black Knights are 6-5 sr Ryan Moffatt 19.3, 6-4 Sr David Martin Robinson 10.5 and 6-1 Sr Anthony Alston 10.3.
Here is a link to their schedule and roster: https://llhoops.com/hempfield/
2. Reading (6-2) (AAAAAA) The defending 6A state champion, Red Knights have lost to Philadelphia LaSalle 68-45 in the Reading Hoop Group Showcase and Baltimore Dunbar, Maryland 56-54 in the finals of their own Holiday Tournament. They opened the season winning the York Bearcat Tip-Off Tournament with wins over Philadelphia Franklin Learning Center 100-41 and York 75-59. Then defeated Coatesville 64-58, Chester 65-48, Carlisle 74-51 and in the opener of their Holiday Tournament, Steelton-Highspire 65-35. Leading scorers are 5-11 jr Wesley Butler 20.1, 5-10 sr R.J. Dixon 10.5, and 6-5 sr Ricki Lopez 8.3.
Link to Reading roster: http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/reading-red-knights-(reading,pa)/basketball/roster.htm
3. York Northeastern (7-0) (AAAAA) Bobcats returned three of its five starters from last year’s club that won Y-A League Division I, captured the league tournament and took the District 3 5-A crown. 6-3 sr Antonio Rizzuto and 5-11 sr Fred Mulbah along with 6-2 soph Nat Wilson. Add to that the return of 5-10 sr D.J. Hamilton who played the last two years at York Country Day, and it’s easy to see why this team is undefeated through December with wins over Delone Catholic 80-40 and Northern York 60-52 to win their own Bobcat Tip-Off Classic. They followed those wins up by defeating Red Lion 56-42, York Suburban 69-44, Central York 59-42, Dallastown 79-60 and York Southwestern 78-41.
Link to their roster: http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/northeastern-bobcats-(manchester,pa)/basketball/roster.htm
4. Harrisburg (5-3) (AAAAAA) The Cougars have defeated Mid-Penn Commonwealth foes, Cumberland Valley 84-62, Central Dauphin 88-59 and Carlisle 68-55 and own wins over Lancaster McCaskey 81-54 and Downingtown West 56-52. They lost to defending Mid-Penn Champion, State College 89-83 in overtime, Abington Heights 66-63 in the Berks Catholic Holiday SPBP Classic and 79-64 to Newark St. Benedicts, New Jersey in the Big Game Hoops Holiday Showcase. Top scorers for the Cougars are 6-0 sr Tony James 15.0, Nareefce Glenn 11.0, Ky’Aire Sumpter 10.7. 6-4 sr Micah Parsons is averaging 10.0 but he is leaving to enroll at Penn State this week and will not play another game for the Cougars. Here is the Cougars roster: http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/harrisburg-cougars-(harrisburg,pa)/basketball/roster.htm
5. Berks Catholic (6-2) (AAAA) The Saints have wins over Pottsville 42-38, Philadelphia Conwell Egan 63-46, York Catholic 50-49, Antietam 73-33 and in the Trinity Showcase Wilkes-Barre Meyers 57-46 and Alexandria Thomas Edison, Virginia. 51-49. They lost to Philadelphia St. Joseph’s Prep 48-25 in the Reading Hoop Group Showcase and to Philadelphia Girard College 52-48. The Saints have five players averaging between 7.5 and 10.1ppg. Keba Mitchell 6-4 Sr 10.1, Casey Jack 6-4 Jr 8.9, Luis Garcia 5-9 Jr 8.3, Kyran Mitchell Jr 7.9 and Trey Dabney 6-1 Sr 7.5. Here is the Saints roster: http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/berks-catholic-saints-(reading,pa)/basketball/roster.htm
6. Milton Hershey (7-0) (AAAAA) The Spartans hold wins over West York 89-55 and Downingtown West 64-48 in the Spartan Tip-Off Tournament, West Perry 73-31, Middletown 83-71, Palmyra 82-59, Camp Hill 87-48 and Steelton-Highspire 66-51. DonYae Baylor-Carroll 23.5, Pedro Rodriguez 13.0. Link to roster: http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/milton-hershey-spartans-(hershey,pa)/b
7. Lampeter-Strasburg (7-1) (AAAAA) The Pioneers have the one bad loss to Elizabethtown 41-39 but have breezed in most other games defeating a one-loss Lancaster Catholic 53-41, Donegal 73-52, Octorara 88-55, Solanco 58-26, Garden Spot 69-45, and then to win the Middletown Holiday Tournament, Northern York 69-53 and Middletown 75-51. Top scorers are 6-10 sr Ryan Smith 21.5, 6-2 sr Isaac Beers 12.3 and 6-1 jr Chase Broderick 9.1. Team roster and schedule: https://llhoops.com/lampeter-strasburg/
8. Hershey (7-1) (AAAAA) The Trojans started the season with seven straight wins, 45-35 over Cocalico, 59-50 over Cumberland Valley, 70-62 over Susquehanna Township, 58-50 over Lower Dauphin, 60-50 over Mechanicsburg, 65-55 over Cedar Cliff, and 64-39 over Bermudian Springs before losing their final game of 2017 to New Oxford 53-46. Hershey has five players averaging over 7.8 points per game led by 6-3 sr Jake Wilson 13.8, 6-3 sr Sean Coller 10.3, 6-1 sr Chase Wallace 8.3, 6-4 sr Drew Painter 8.0, and 6-7 sr Nick Hines 7.8. Link to roster: http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/hershey-trojans-(hershey,pa)/basketball/roster.htm
9. Chambersburg (7-2) (AAAAAA) The Trojans started the season with victories over Waynesboro 59-27 and Greencastle-Antrim 51-46 to win the Franklin County Tip-Off Tournament. They followed that with consecutive wins over Mifflin County 45-43, Central Dauphin East 45-39 and Cedar Cliff 59-41. Then lost a nice lead and lost to Carlisle 41-40 and went to State College and lost to the defending Mid-Penn Conference champs, 57-49 in a game they led at the half. They finished off 2017 winning the Gettysburg Holiday Tournament with wins over York Southwestern 48-27 and Solanco 67-37. Top players: 5-11 sr Noah Beidel, 6-2 sr Cade Brindle, 6-5 jr Tyler Collier, 5-11 sr Evan Shreffler, 6-2 sr Tyron Williams, 6-1 soph Terell Williams, 6-6 sr Joel Torres. Trojan roster: http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/chambersburg-trojans-(chambersburg,pa)/basketball/roster.htm
10. Lancaster Catholic (8-1) (AAAA) The Crusaders opened the season winning their own Tip-Off Tournament defeating Spring Grove 69-31 and Central York 58-48. They then lost their only game of the season at Lampeter-Strasburg 53-41. Finished 2017 with six more wins, 60-55 over Eastern Lebanon, Pequea Valley 70-48, Annville-Cleona 51-43, Columbia 68-51, Garden Spot 58-56 and Conrad Weiser 57-38, the last two to win the Warwick Holiday Tournament. The Crusaders do not call player stats to MaxPreps and LNP had their stats so screwed up it would take hours to figure out. Team schedule and roster: https://llhoops.com/lancaster-catholic/
11. Trinity (7-1 AAA) The Shamrocks opened the season with a 56-42 win over West York, then lost to Steelton-Highspire 43-40. Since that loss they have reeled off six wins starting with a 59-46 win over Lancaster Mennonite followed by wins over St. Joseph’s Catholic Academy 68-51, East Pennsboro 58-33, Camp Hill 81-48 and then in the Shamrock Holiday Showcase they defeated Alexandria Thomas Edision, Virginia 69-55 and Wilkes-Barre Meyers 45-42 in overtime. Top Scorers are: 6-10 sr Sean Good 13.4, 6-5 sr Jack Bucher 9.7, 6-6 Jr Kalen Veres 9.7, 6-0 sr Mike Scarpelli 7.9. Team roster: http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/trinity-shamrocks-(camp-hill,pa)/basketball/roster.htm
12. Greencastle-Antrim (7-1) (AAAAA) The Blue Devils started the season in the Franklin County Tip-Off Tournament winning the first night, 75-47 over James Buchanan and then losing their only game, 51-46 to Chambersburg in the final. Then came wins over James Buchanan again, 66-40, Northern York 56-53, Boiling Springs 59-51, Central Dauphin 75-42. Ended 2017 winning the East Pennsboro Holiday Tournament 63-45 over Donegal and 48-46 over Cedar Cliff. Top Players: 6-0 sr Brandon Stuhler, 5-11 jr Jason Freeman, 6-3 sr Ben Freemn, 6-2 sr Ian Gelsinger, 6-3 sr Bryan Gembe.
Team roster: http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/greencastle-antrim-blue-devils-(greencastle,pa)/basketball/roster.htm
13. York (6-3) (AAAAA) Bearcats started the season in their Bearcat Tip-Off by defeating Williamsport 63-55 and losing in the championship to Reading 75-59. They then defeated New Oxford 51-37, Spring Grove 74-67, Cedar Crest 55-48 and Dallastown 64-63 in overtime. Then came a triple-overtime loss to Central York 81-77 and a 57-42 loss to Oxon Hill, Maryland in the first round of the Lancaster Tornado Holiday Tournament. Ended 2017 with a 79-62 win over Lancaster McCaskey in the consolation game. Top scorers are: 6-1 sr Kyree Generett 18.2, 6-3 jr Marquise McClean 12.9 and 6-4 jr Clovis Gallon Jr. 10.7. Team roster: http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/william-penn-bearcats-(york,pa)/basketball/roster.htm
14. Cedar Crest (8-2) (AAAAAA) The Falcons started the season with wins over Eastern Lebanon 68-44 and Lebanon 49-46 to win the Lebanon Tip-Off Tournament. Then came wins over Manheim Central 57-39 and Lancaster McCaskey 61-46. They then took their first loss, 55-48 to York. Came back and beat Warwick 52-40 and Conestoga Valley 73-39. Suffered their second loss, this time to Manheim Township 77-71. Came back and won their own Holiday Tournament with wins over Camp Hill 70-49 and Lebanon 50-38. Leading scorers are 6-6 sr Cole Laney 14.9, 6-1 sr Blake Thompson 13.5, and 6-0 jr Logan Horn 10.6.
Team schedule and roster: https://llhoops.com/cedar-crest/
15. Wilson (5-2) (AAAAAA) The Bulldogs had wins over Easton 52-37, Cocalico 56-44, Avon Grove 41-39 and Cedar Cliff 56-50 and a 65-52 loss to Nazareth, before ending 2017 in the Hempfield Black Knight Holiday Tournament where they defeated Central York 50-42 before losing to the #1 Black Knights 57-31 in the championship game. Top scorers for Wilson have been 6-2 jr Bryce Calloway 11.0, 6-1 sr Logan Horst 9.1 and 6-1 freshman Stevie Mitchell 8.7.
Link to team roster: http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/wilson-bulldogs-(west-lawn,pa)/basketball/roster.htm
Follow LLhoops on Twitter @LLhoops